Gothic culture has been popular for centuries, but have you ever had the courage to wear something dark and vintage yet stylish? With the theme of 1940's vintage combined with glamorously Gothic styled make-up, you can create a look that would be fantastic for formal gatherings and parties.
Victory Rolls are what they say on the tin: Victorious! This 1940s hairstyle, which is inspired by the World War II plane manoeuvres on their arrivals home, is possibly a favourite vintage hairstyle of all time. The rolls, created by sectioning and twisting the hair up on top of the head, create such elegance and glamour while also being playful and cute. This means this style is not only suitable for evenings out, but for day occasions too! It doesn’t just look good, but it is also a hairstyle that is fairly easy to accomplish - even for styling beginners!
I did this style on my friend Megan, and this is how...
Basic Victory Roll Guide:
- Part your hair. It doesn't matter if you have a side or middle parting, it works just as well whatever your preference.
- Take one side of your hair, and run a finger from your ear up back in a diagonal line to the back of your head.
- With this section of hair you have now created, you will want to brush it through and curl it. Once this is done, start back-combing the underneath of the section.
- Smooth out the top of the section (while not undoing any back-combing you have created, as this is what will help keep your hair in place) and start to wrap the ends of the hair around two of your fingers.
- Once you have the shape of the victory roll around your fingers, you now want to keep rolling it towards the top of your head.
- When you are satisfied with the positioning of the roll, keep it in place with as many Bobby pins as necessary and spray it with hairspray.
- You can mess around with the shape of the roll if you're not happy with it, and spray it down into the way that you want.
- You also will want to try and smooth down any little hairs to get a nice slick look to the victory rolls, and again spray it in place or use wax.
- Then repeat for the other side of your head!
Dark eye make-up is something that many people are a fan of, and by gently blending a dark shadow from the outer corner of your eye into a lighter silver on the top of your lids you can turn a day-look into an evening style in a matter of minutes. Not to mention that a little shimmer that glistens in the light can make you into a sultry seductress!
To top this vintage evening look off, you can just add a little contouring under your cheekbones and your favourite lipstick and voila! You are now officially a gothic goddess. And let’s not forget your heels!
If you’re not looking to wear your victory rolls out on a night out, they look just as fabulous with simple liquid liner, some light blush and lipstick for day-wear! If you fancy it you could even curl the rest of your hair for another cute look. Versatile rolls anyone?